Latest Ice pier Stories
ESA -- Envisat radar imagery confirms that the B-15A iceberg "“ the world's largest floating object "“ is adrift once more after two months aground on a shallow seamount. This latest development poses a renewed threat to the nearby pier of land-attached ice known as the Drygalski ice tongue. The sheer scale of B-15A is best appreciated from space. The bottle-shaped Antarctic iceberg is around 120 kilometres long, with an area exceeding 2500 square kilometres, making it about...
WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- U.S. ships have delivered food, fuel and equipment to Antarctic science bases, despite fears they would not be able to pass through the ice pack formed behind the world's largest iceberg, officials said Thursday. A fuel tanker and cargo ship, following a 94-mile path cut by icebreakers through up to 10-feet-thick ice, has reached a pier in McMurdo Sound, U.S. National Science Foundation spokesman Arthur Brown said. The ice pack was nearly double its normal...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.