Quantcast

Latest ingestion Stories

2012-12-28 15:16:40

It is a well known fact that children often swallow things. Children aged 6 months to 6 years are most often affected, but even adults sometimes end up with a foreign body stuck in their throats–and not only there. Peter Ambe, Düsseldorf University Hospital, and his coauthors review this clinical problem in this issue of Deutsches Ärzteblatt International (Dtsch Arztebl Int 2012; 109(50): 869–75). Adults ingest foreign bodies mostly with their food....

Button Battery Injuries On The Rise
2012-08-31 06:14:41

Connie K. Ho for redOrbit.com — Your Universe Online In a recent report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), researchers found that injuries to children due to small batteries have increased in the last few years and ingestion can cause serious health issues. In particular, the report stated that there is growing concern over the ingestion of batteries because they can become stuck in the esophagus and cause serious problems or even death. The U.S. Consumer...

2010-12-21 00:01:46

The rash caused by nickel allergy is comparable to that caused by poison ivy. For people with nickel allergy life is a constant struggle to find nickel free products, however, a new website is dedicated to helping these people live nickel free. Santa Clarita, CA (PRWEB) December 20, 2010 Nickel allergy is one of the most common contact allergies affecting an estimated 15% of the population. That means there are nearly forty five million (45,000,000) nickel allergy sufferers in the U.S....

2010-11-01 16:30:15

Study from Rhode Island Hospital identifies an unusual yet financially impactful condition A new study from Rhode Island Hospital found that 33 individuals were responsible for 305 cases of medical intervention to remove foreign bodies that were intentionally swallowed, resulting in more than $2 million in estimated hospital costs. The findings appear in the November issue of Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology. Through a retrospective case study over an 8-year period, the researchers...

2009-11-29 23:00:00

CHICAGO, Nov. 30 /PRNewswire/ -- Three decades ago, a study revealed that beverage can pull-tabs were being swallowed by children, prompting a switch by U.S. manufacturers to stay-tabs. But a study presented today at the annual meeting of the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA) found that the new tabs are still potentially unsafe. "One of the driving factors leading the change in beverage can construction in the U.S. was to eliminate inadvertent swallowing of the pull-tab...

2009-10-05 06:10:00

Caregivers and physicians need education Ten years of case studies at a pediatric hospital and a thorough literature review have shown that it is not uncommon for children to ingest small "button" batteries, either through swallowing or inserting the batteries into their noses. In a paper presented at the 2009 American Academy of Otolaryngology "“ Head and Neck Surgery Foundation (AAO-HNSF) Annual Meeting & OTO EXPO in San Diego, researchers revealed that a significant lack of...

2009-03-13 20:38:12

Leatherback turtles, survivors of the prehistoric era, are threatened with extinction by modern plastics, a Canadian researcher said. Mike James, a biologist with Dalhousie University, said the most widely distributed reptiles on Earth are choking or starving to death after ingesting plastic garbage. A review of 371 post-mortem examinations since 1968 reveals that over one third of the turtles had ingested plastic. The turtles appear to be mistaking bags and other plastics for jellyfish, the...


Word of the Day
grass-comber
  • A landsman who is making his first voyage at sea; a novice who enters naval service from rural life.
According to the OED, a grass-comber is also 'a sailor's term for one who has been a farm-labourer.'