Latest Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences Stories
Welsh and American researchers have completed the first, most comprehensive high-resolution genetic map of the energy crop miscanthus. The researchers collaborated to create this image and published the results in the current edition of the online journal PLoS One. Energy crop company Ceres, Inc. from Thousand Oaks, California worked hand-in-hand with the Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences (IBERS) at Aberystwyth University in Wales. As the IBERS team collected a...
One of the world's leading centres for climate-change science will be created in Ceredigion, it was announced yesterday. Funding cuts put the former plant breeding station at Gogerddan, Aberystwyth, under threat of closure 18 months ago. Its future was secured with the Institute of Grassland and Environmental Research's merger with Aberystwyth University this year, creating the Institute for Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences (Ibers). Now the Welsh Assembly Government has...
As the world's attention is focused on issues of aid and trade in developing countries, UK researchers have shown how science can improve the lives of farmers in Africa and Asia. Genetic research at a Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) sponsored institute has been used by Indian researchers to develop a new strain of pearl millet that is resistant to attack by downy mildew. This fungal disease can wipe out 80 per cent of a harvest of pearl millet, a crop grown...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.