Latest Irkutsk Oblast Stories
By Oliver Bullough MOSCOW (Reuters) - A proposed Russian oil pipeline could cause permanent damage to the unique wildlife of Lake Baikal and must be stopped, scientists who conducted the state's assessment of the plan said on Thursday. The pipeline, due to run from Eastern Siberia to the Pacific coast, would hook round the northern end of Baikal -- the world's deepest lake and home to hundreds of endemic species including a rare fresh water seal. State monopoly Transneft says it...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.