Latest Jamestown Settlement Stories
NORFOLK, Va. (AP) -- Virginia preservationists are nearing the end of a two-year quest to determine whether a skeleton discovered at the site of the Jamestown settlement is that of one its founders. William Kelso, who directed an archaeological dig early in 2003 in which the skeleton was found, leads a group leaving for England on Tuesday to assist in removal of DNA samples from the remains of a sister and niece of Capt. Bartholomew Gosnold. "It's a chance to refocus the history of...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.