Latest Jeffrey Levinton Stories
By Delthia Ricks, Newsday, Melville, N.Y. Jul. 24--Mercury levels in several varieties of Hudson River fish have declined significantly over the past three decades, Stony Brook researchers have found in an analysis that points to dramatically decreasing concentrations of industrial pollution. Heavy-metal contaminants -- particularly mercury -- mounted up in the Hudson throughout most of the 20th century because of increasing dependence on the river for industry and commerce. Now, after...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.