Latest Jelep La Stories
By Y.P. Rajesh NATHU LA, China-India Border (Reuters) - Asian giants India and China opened a Himalayan pass to border trade on Thursday, 44 years after a brutal frontier war shut down the ancient route. Senior officials from Tibet and the tiny northeastern Indian state of Sikkim cut a ribbon marking the border at the Nathu La pass as freezing rain poured down. Soldiers held up umbrellas instead of the automatic rifles they usually carry. A thick mist obscured visibility. Scores of...
By Simon Denyer NATHU-LA, India (Reuters) - As the rain sweeps across the high Himalayan pass, a Chinese soldier arrives at the three strands of barbed wire which separate his country's territory from that of long-time rival India. But this soldier is no longer brandishing a gun, on this once most sensitive of borders between the world's two most populous countries. Instead he takes some video for his family back home and pauses to shake hands across the rusty fence. Just a few...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.