Latest Jewel Gopwani Stories
By Jewel Gopwani, Detroit Free Press Jul. 26--American Axle & Manufacturing Inc. aims to make a profit next year by becoming smaller in the United States, as it looks past a $644-million loss in the second quarter. The company's largest quarterly loss since going public in 1999 was largely because of the UAW's 3-month strike at the axle supplier, as well as buyout and retirement programs offered in the contract that followed. On Friday, American Axle offered details of a plan that...
By Jewel Gopwani, Detroit Free Press Jul. 7--When Jeremy Diebel joined American Axle & Manufacturing almost 14 years ago, he took this attitude with him: "If you're going to do something, it's worth overdoing." Within six months at the Detroit supplier, Diebel started machining axles, one of the most technical jobs in the plant. When his machine broke down, he closely watched the skilled-trade workers who fixed it. He consistently volunteered to learn new jobs. "The things that I...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.