Latest Jillian Sackler Stories
Opening May 3, "An American in London: Whistler and the Thames" is First Major Exhibition of Whistler's Influential Early London Period WASHINGTON, March 3, 2014 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- "An American in London: Whistler and the Thames," opening May 3 at the Smithsonian's Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, is the first major exhibition ever devoted to American artist James McNeill Whistler's early period in London, and it is the largest U.S. display of his work in almost 20 years. The...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.