Latest Joe Wilkinson Iowa Stories
By Joe Wilkinson Iowa DNR On a sunny morning at Big Spring, everything appears normal. The big wooden sign welcomes visitors to the Department of Natural Resources trout rearing station, along the Turkey River near Elkader. A closer look, though, and the signature of the 2008 Flood appears. A cornstalk is lodged overhead in the welcome sign, carried there by the wall of water spilling over a levee 40 yards away. "After the 1991 flood, we added 18 inches to the levee. Still, the river...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.