Latest John Balchen Stories
A Florida-based treasure-hunting firm reported the discovery of a British Royal Navy warship on Monday. The HMS Victory, which belonged to Admiral Sir John Balchin was lost in 1744. Tampa-based Odyssey Marine Exploration Inc. reported the discovery of the ship, which was considered to be the last Royal Navy warship to be lost at sea with a complete complement of bronze cannon, the company said in a statement. Shares of the exploration firm jumped more than 32 percent on Monday after the find...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.