Latest John Gaffney Stories
Holding a child in your lap while going down a playground slide could increase the risk the child will suffer a broken leg, doctors in Mineola, N.Y., warn. Many parents think it is actually safer to hold their toddler while going down a playground slide, but this study may prove otherwise, Dr. John Gaffney, an orthopedic surgeon, said of Winthrop University Hospital's findings. During 11 months of study, doctors at Winthrop found 13.8 percent of tibia fractures in children occurred while...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.