Latest John Hervert Stories
TUCSON, Ariz. -- About 2 1/2 years ago, the survival chances for Arizona's endangered Sonoran pronghorns were grim. Victimized by prolonged drought, only an estimated 21 of the sleek desert-dwelling animals were left in this country; their extinction appeared inevitable. But today, after above-average winter rains, a favorable spring and initial success from a recovery program including semicaptive breeding, forage enhancement and emergency water supplies, the shy creatures are making a...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.