Latest Joslin Diabetes Center Stories
Strategies implemented in high-income countries to improve blood glucose control in people with type 1 diabetes and so reduce complications, such as heart attacks, strokes, and early death, are working, but there is much need for further improvement, according to a study from Scotland published in this week's PLOS Medicine. Using information from national databases representing over 20 000 patients from 2005 to 2008, Scottish researchers led by Helen Colhoun from the University of Dundee,...
Alan McStravick for redOrbit.com - Your Universe Online A recent study, conducted by researchers at the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis and their partners at the Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston and the Novartis Institutes for Bio Medical Research, has managed to identify a specific genetic mechanism connected to mutations in the WFS1 gene that affects insulin-secreting beta cells. It is believed that this discovery will be paramount in increasing the understanding...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.