Latest Jwaneng diamond mine Stories
Botswana, the world's largest diamond mine producer, says it will cut output by more than half this year because of low gem demand. Debswana, the company jointly owned by the Botswana government and De Beers, plans to produce 15 million carats of diamonds this year, compared to 33.6 million carats in 2008, the BBC said. Diamonds decorate not only jewelry, but also industrial cutting tools. The announcement came after the state diamond trading firm DTCB said it could only sell between 18 and...
Diamond producer De Beers said it would suspend work at several mines in Botswana amid a global recession that has weakened demand. The joint venture Debswana, a partnership of De Beers and the Botswana government, will suspend production at two mines for the rest of the year. Two other mines, including Jwaneng, the world's most productive diamond mine, will halt production until mid-April, The Daily Telegraph reported Tuesday. Mining had already been halted since December, with 5,500 miners...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.