Quantcast

Latest Karl Guthe Jansky Stories

Pinpointing Radio Wave Origins In The Distant Universe
2013-05-01 05:04:41

April Flowers for redOrbit.com - Your Universe Online For the first time, astronomers have identified discrete sources that account for nearly all of the radio waves coming from distant galaxies. This was achieved by more than 50 hours of observations with the ultra-sensitive Karl G. Jansky Very Large Array (VLA). The researchers found that approximately 63 percent of the background radio emission comes from galaxies with gorging black holes at their cores. The remaining 37 percent...

Jansky Very Large Array Achieves First Light
2012-07-22 07:59:27

redOrbit Staff & Wire Reports - Your Universe Online Researchers with the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory (NRL) and the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) in New Mexico announced Friday that they had successfully achieved "first light" at low frequencies using the Jansky Very Large Array (JVLA) radio astronomy telescope. Using five of the JVLA's 27 230-ton, 25-meter diameter very high-frequency (VHF) dish antennas, NRAO astronomer Dr. Frazer Owen was able to map the radio...

2012-02-18 01:41:16

ALMA and Jansky VLA enabling forefront research at frontiers of astrophysics Two new and powerful research tools are helping astronomers gain key insights needed to transform our understanding of important processes across the breadth of astrophysics. The Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA), and the newly-expanded Karl G. Jansky Very Large Array (VLA) offer scientists vastly improved and unprecedented capabilities for frontier research. The cutting-edge research enabled...


Latest Karl Guthe Jansky Reference Libraries

45_894c6a813094d5c55029fadb762d4d57
2010-10-08 17:45:24

Radio telescopes, used in tracking and collecting data from satellites and space probes, are a form of directional radio antenna used in radio astronomy. They operate on the radio frequency portion of the electromagnetic spectrum where they detect radio sources. Radio telescopes are large parabolic antennas used singly or in an array and are located far from major centers of population in order to avoid electromagnetic interference. Karl Guthe Jansky built the first radio antenna used to...

More Articles (1 articles) »
Word of the Day
snash
  • To talk saucily.
  • Insolent, opprobrious language; impertinent abuse.
This word is Scots in origin and probably imitative.