Latest Keeping Score Stories
By Cheryl North Why would the management of New York's Carnegie Hall look all the way across the United States to San Francisco to fill the niche for its upcoming opening night gala commemorating the 90th anniversary of Leonard Bernstein's birth? Because the Bay Area's maestro Michael Tilson Thomas and the San Francisco Symphony are arguably the best qualified in the country to do the job. MTT, as Thomas is popularly known, is likely the artist most deeply influenced by, as well as...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.