Latest Large Lakes Observatory Stories
[ Watch the Video ] Many parts of the ocean are better understood than some of the Earth's large lakes, despite the fact that these are key reservoirs for much of the fresh water on the planet. Since 1994, scientists at the Large Lakes Observatory (LLO) have been working to change that. With support from the National Science Foundation (NSF), LLO scientists study the biology, chemistry, physics and geology of large lakes around the world. "As I started doing work in Lake Superior, I...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.