Madrean pine-oak woodlands Reference Libraries
Sky Islands are mountains located within ranges that are isolated by valleys in which other ecosystems are located. As a result, mountain ecosystems are isolated from each other, and species can develop separately, as occurs on island groups such as the GalÃ¡pagos Islands. The best known example of sky islands are the northern end of the Sierra Madre Occidental in New Mexico, Arizona,...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.