Latest Maine Huts and Trails Stories
By JOHN HOLYOKE When October rolls around, many Maine outdoors enthusiasts forget all about lakes, ponds and streams and start foraging for shotgun shells and orange caps. Make no mistake, ruffed grouse hunters are out and about - their season started Wednesday - but that doesn't mean there's not a pile of aquatic options available. In fact, many diehard anglers will tell you (as long as you agree not to let anyone else in on the secret) that come October, they enjoy some of the best...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.