Latest Malgorzata Tokarska Stories
New research has found that the European bison, Europe's heaviest surviving land animal, is still in danger of extinction, despite heroic conservation efforts. Despite the number of wild bison in the herd having steadily risen to about 800, one of the last two wild herds of pure-bred European bison has dwindled down to an effective population of just 25. The effective population is a measure of the bison's genetic diversity, and can even serve to predict the animal's chances of...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.