Latest Manaus Stories
SAO PAULO, Brazil (Reuters) - Three suspects arrested in connection with the killing of a U.S. anthropology professor during a robbery were high on cocaine when one of them shot him, police said on Monday. University of Vermont professor James Petersen, 51, was shot once in the chest on Saturday at a restaurant in the Amazon rainforest town of Iranduba, about 14 miles west of Amazonas state capital Manaus, police said. Initial media reports quoted witnesses as saying Petersen was...
BRASILIA (Reuters) - A U.S. anthropology professor on a research trip to Brazil was shot and killed on Saturday in an Amazon rainforest town, a U.S. Embassy spokesman said on Sunday. James Petersen, 51, of the University of Vermont, was shot while he was being robbed in a restaurant in the town of Iranduba, about 14 miles west of Amazonas state capital Manaus, the spokesman, John Wilcock, said. Three suspects were taken into custody on Sunday morning in connection with Petersen's...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.