Latest Manchester Small-Scale Experimental Machine Stories
Britain's oldest original computer is being sent to the National Museum of Computing at Bletchley, where it will undergo a one-year restoration project. The Harwell system was originally designed in 1949 to perform mathematical calculations, and ran from 1951 to 1973. The state-of-the-art computer measured roughly 8 ft. x 16 ft. when it was originally built by a team of three people at the Atomic Energy Research Establishment in Harwell, Oxfordshire. The establishment staff used...
During the 60th Anniversary celebration of "Baby", the forerunner of all modern computers, historians have released what they consider to be the oldest recordings of computer generated music. The songs, including Baa Baa Black Sheep, God Save the King and a truncated version of In the Mood, were played on a Ferranti Mark 1 computer in the Autumn of 1951 during a visit to the University of Manchester. "I think it's historically significant," said Paul Doornbusch, a computer music composer and...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.