Latest Mapuche Stories
NEW YORK, Aug. 11, 2011 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Seven Chilean companies will showcase their products supported by the Trade Commission of Chile in New York - ProChile in the upcoming edition of the New York International Gift Fair (NYIGF), which will be held on August 13-17, 2011 in New York. (Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20101109/PROCHILELOGO ) The Chilean companies that will showcase their creations, from jewelry to textiles and much more, are Chantal Bernsau,...
SANTIAGO, Chile -- A once-nomadic tribe of hunters and fishermen living in the frigid channels near the bottom of the world is nearing extinction. Down to just 15 full-blooded members, the Kawesqar people could soon go the way of other indigenous tribes in Chile, its language and culture disappearing to all but the history books. Juan Carlos Tonko, however, is doing all he can to stop the Kawesqar's slow march to oblivion. Six months ago, the 40-year-old left the comforts of the capital,...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.