Latest Mars500 Mission Stories
After a year-and-a-half of being locked up in isolation, the Mars500 crew's mission is finally coming to an end. The 17-month simulated Mars mission had six men spend 520-days of isolation to study the mental and physical challenges that would be faced for a manned mission to Mars. The crew had their brains monitored and bodies scanned to study the effects of the long period of isolation. The Mars500 crew believes they have properly answered the question of whether men can mentally...
The Mars500 mission director said on Friday that six researchers on a 520-day mock flight to Mars are all feeling ready to "land" on the Red Planet after 233 days in a locked steel capsule. The all-male crew of three Russians, a Chinese, a Frenchman and an Italian-Colombian has been inside windowless capsules at a Moscow research center since June. The crew's mission is to help real space crews in the future cope with the confinement and stress of interplanetary travel. The...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.