Latest Massospora cicadina Stories
Throughout the southern United States and as far north as Illinois and Indiana, the noisy sounds of billions of red-eyed cicadas are ringing out for the first time since 1998.After living quietly underground for the past 13 years, the insects -- dubbed the "Great Southern Brood" by scientists -- are emerging to mate and quickly die off.One traveler through the area said he heard a high-pitched whirring so loud he thought the engine of his truck was overheating. "I was getting ready to raise...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.