Latest Matt Fischer Stories
By Linda N. Weller, The Telegraph, Alton, Ill. Feb. 7--ALTON -- Monday's frigid, single-digit temperatures weren't fit for man or beast, but they were perfect for suited-up Alton firefighters finally getting to train in ice rescue techniques -- in the water. "This is an impromptu training; when we get ice, we use it," said instructor Capt. Matt Fischer. "It's a great opportunity for us," Alton Fire Chief John Sowders said. "We do a lot of training, and we've trained in regular water, but...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.