Latest Max Newman Stories
The National Heritage Memorial Fund has saved an archive of WWII papers from the United Kingdom's most famous code-breaker, Alan Turing, in an 11th-hour bid that kept the collection of scientific papers from going to a private buyer. Turing, one of the founding fathers of modern computing and a key figure in breaking the German Enigma code, will now have his work kept in its "spiritual home," Bletchley Park, which was the center of Britain's top secret code-breaking effort during the war....
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.