Neisseria meningitidis is a heterotrophic gram-negative diplococcal bacterium best known for its role in meningitis and other forms of meningococcal disease such as meningococcemia. It is a major cause of morbidity and mortality during childhood in industrialized countries and is responsible for epidemics in Africa and in Asia. In the US there are approximately 2500 to 3500 cases of N. meningitides infections. Children under 5 are at a higher risk as well as people in the sub-Saharan...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.