Latest Meta menardi Stories
The egg sac silk of the cocoon stalk of the cave spider Meta menardi is the most stretchable egg sac silk yet tested, according to a study published Feb. 8 in the open access journal PLoS ONE. Spider silk is of broad interest for its strength, extensibility and toughness and possible applications for material science and biomechanical engineering, and there are many different types of silk from many different spider species. In the current study, the authors, led by Nicola Pugno of...
The European Cave Spider (Meta menardi) is a species of orbweaver spider that has a natural range that extends from Scandinavia to North America and from Europe to Korea. It was introduced into other areas such as Japan and Madagascar. This is one of the largest species of spider found in the United Kingdom (only the Raft Spider is bigger). Other common names for this species is the Orbweaving Cave Spider, Cave Orbweaver and simply Cave Spider. The adult has a body length of 0.6 inches...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.