Latest Michael Willis Stories
April Flowers for redOrbit.com - Your Universe Online Much has been said lately about Arctic ice melting at an alarming and record-breaking rate, but other ice fields are suffering the same effects of global warming as well. For the last 40 years, scientists have monitored the growing and shrinking of the ice fields in the southern most stretch of South America's Andes Mountains, detecting an overall ice loss as the climate warms. A new study, published in the September 5 issue of...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.