Latest Mike Flannigan Stories
redOrbit Staff & Wire Reports - Your Universe Online Wildfires like the ones that have ravaged Arizona and Nevada this summer are expected to become far more severe over the next several decades, say researchers from the University of Alberta Faculty of Agricultural, Life and Environmental Sciences (ALES) in a new study. In fact, lead author Dr. Mike Flannigan and his colleagues report that the severity of wildfires will increase three-fold by the end of the century, and that as...
In 1997, a forest fire in Indonesia ignited an area of peatlands that smouldered for months. By the time it was over, the fire had released greenhouse gases equal to 20 to 40 percent of the total worldwide emissions that year from fossil fuels. But that could be a drop in the bucket compared to future emissions from peat fires. Indonesian peatlands are dwarfed by Canada's. The total area of all peatland in Canada is estimated to be about twice the size of Saskatchewan. At this week's...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.