Latest Mike Garthaus Stories
By Scott Richardson Independence Day came early for 53 muskies.Illinois Department of Natural Resources fish biologist Mike Garthaus and Mike Steffa, acting director of the McLean County Parks & Recreation Department, led a crew one day last week to rescue the big fish trapped in the spillway of Evergreen Lake. They had nowhere to go when water all but stopped flowing over the dam. The muskies and other fish, including a handful of saugeye and largemouth bass, would have died when...
By Scott Richardson;firstname.lastname@example.org Striped bass may be the strongest fish swimming in Illinois waters with the exception of muskies and flathead catfish. As of this week, more hybrid stripers are swimming in Clinton Lake thanks to Exelon, which operates the nuclear power plant at the 5,000-acre reservoir. The company donated 50,000 hybrid striped bass fingerlings about three to four inches long as one of several initiatives to improve fishing and the natural setting at the...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.