Minerals Reference Libraries
Chert is a fine-grained silica-rich cryptocrystalline sedimentary rock that may contain small fossils. It varies greatly in color from white to black, but most often manifests as gray, brown, grayish brown and light green to rusty red; its color is an expression of trace elements present in the rock, and both red and green are most often related to traces of iron (in its oxidized and reduced...
Limonite Limonite is a ferric hydrate of varying composition, the generic formula is frequently written as FeO(OH)Â·nH2O, although this is not entirely accurate as Limonite often contains a varying amount of oxide compared to hydroxide. Together with hematite, it is mined as ore for the production of iron. Limonite is heavy and yellowish-brown. It is not a true mineral, however, but a...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.