Latest Naegleria fowleri Stories
New study shows a potentially lethal parasite found in drinking water known as the Entamoeba histolytica amoeba, which kills human cells by eating them alive in the host’s body.
Ten people have died in Pakistan's most populated city due to a brain-eating amoeba transmitted by contaminated water.
Three people have died this year from a rare brain infection caused by an amoeba, called Naegleria Fowleri, which feasts on neurons.
Naegleria genome sheds light on transition from prokaryotes to eukaryotes.
Swimming in Florida lakes and rivers can be deadly if the Naegleria fowleri amoeba is present, public health officials warn. While no deaths were reported last year in Central Florida, three boys died of the infection in 2007, the Orlando Sentinel reported Sunday. The amoeba can be found in swimming pools, especially if they are not chlorinated.
By Arelis Hernandez, The Orlando Sentinel, Fla. Jul. 5--ORANGE COUNTY When water temperatures rise in lakes, it's time for you to get out, the Orange County Health Department warned.
By REX SPRINGSTON Despite some residents' concerns over a warmth-loving parasite in Lake Anna, a state panel agreed yesterday to continue to allow Dominion Virginia Power to discharge warm water into the lake.
By Josh Brodesky, The Arizona Daily Star, Tucson Oct. 4--Brain-eating amoebas have taken up residence in Tucson's water supply as recent tests have shown their presence in 12 wells.
- Withering but not falling off, as a blossom that persists on a twig after flowering.