Latest Nelore Stories
By Marcelo Teixeira ELDORADO, Brazil (Reuters) - Manoel Simoes Junior, who is watching health officials in Brazil slaughter his herd of 3,600 head of cattle after they tested positive for foot-and-mouth, wants explanations. Simoes told Reuters by phone he is not to blame for the outbreak on his property, on which two local police officers shot dead the first lot of 300 of his herd earlier this week. "What the press needs to ask is how this happened. I have employees trained by...
The Caracu is a breed of cattle that originated in Brazil. It was developed as a dual purpose cattle utilizing both its meat for beef products and milk for dairy products. Its origin can be traced back to the Minhota, sometime in the mid-1500s. Many hardships from disease to harsh condition made it difficult to raise cattle. The first herd book was established in 1916. In 1980, new breeding techniques and genetic improvements has accelerated the evolution and performance of the Caracu. It...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.