Latest New Valley Governorate Stories
Egypt's Ministry of Culture announced Wednesday that archaeologists have unearthed the remains of a 3,500-year-old trading settlement in one of the country's desert oases that predates earlier cities by a thousand years. The Yale University mission discovered the ancient settlement in Umm El-Kharga Oasis, one of Egypt's five western deserts, located around 375 miles south of Cairo. The university found the site while working to map ancient routes in the western desert. The settlement lies...
By Andrew Martin Global food shortages have placed the Middle East and North Africa in a quandary because they are facing a choice of growing more crops to feed an expanding population or preserving their already scant supply of water. For decades, countries in this region have drained aquifers, sucked the salt from seawater and diverted the Nile to make the deserts bloom. But those projects were so costly and used so much water that it remained far more practical to import food than to...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.