Latest NHK Stories
TOKYO - A powerful earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 7.1 struck Japan's northern island of Hokkaido early Monday, swaying buildings, throwing objects off shelves and triggering a small tsunami wave that reached the shore. The 3:32 a.m. quake injured at least eight people, but there were no immediate reports of damage. Japan's Meteorological Agency quickly issued a tsunami warning for the eastern shores of Hokkaido's Pacific coastal area. Tsunami are potentially dangerous waves...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.