Latest NOAA Hurricane Hunters Stories
The active hurricane season could get even busier due to the strengthening of the La Nina climate system, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) said in an update on Thursday. The update comes as Texas residents are cleaning up from the flooding rains that swept through from Tropical Storm Hermine. La Nina was reported to be developing a month ago and has strengthened throughout August. It appears likely to last through early 2011, NOAA's Climate Prediction Service said....
By Christopher Doering WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The return of a La Nina weather pattern this year will likely mean drought in southern and southwestern U.S. states, government forecasters said on Thursday, adding it was too early to tell if La Nina would also lead to more Atlantic hurricanes in 2006. La Nina is an unusual cooling of Pacific Ocean surface temperatures, which can trigger widespread changes in weather around the world. Forecasters with the National Oceanic and...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.