Latest NOAA's National Climatic Data Center Stories
Weather records are being broken in many regions of the US. According to NOAA's National Climatic Data Center, 41 of the lower 48 states had above-normal or a record warmest July. Only seven of the lower 48 states "” all west of the Rockies "” experienced a July average temperature near or below the twentieth century average. Drought conditions are so bad in Texas, covering 75 percent of the state, that it would take about 20 inches of precipitation in one month to end the...
New 1981-2010 'normals' to be released this week According to the 1981-2010 normals to be released by NOAA's National Climatic Data Center (NCDC) on July 1, temperatures across the United States were on average, approximately 0.5 degree F warmer than the 1971-2000 time period. Normals serve as a 30 year baseline average of important climate variables that are used to understand average climate conditions at any location and serve as a consistent point of reference. The new normals update the...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.