Latest Northern Norway Stories
By Alister Doyle, Environment Correspondent PASVIK VALLEY, Norway -- Bears are thriving in Arctic forests between Norway and Russia at the northern tip of a planned European "Green Belt" along the route of the former Iron Curtain. The brown bears are apparently benefiting from the end of the Cold War when they were used as targets by bored or jittery Soviet guards on the desolate icy frontier between NATO member Norway and the Soviet Union. "The bear population seems to be increasing," said...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.