Latest Olkhon Stories
Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has issued a decree to reopen the controversial Baikal pulp and paper mill, which has worried environmentalists for 25 years. Putin's decree, signed on January 13 but made public on Monday, reverses an earlier ban on the production of cellulose paper and storage of waste around Lake Baikal, the world's deepest freshwater lake. Greenpeace said it was deeply concerned by the plans and that it would ask Medvedev to overturn Putin's decision. Roman...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.