Latest Ommastrephidae Stories
Brett Smith for redOrbit.com - Your Universe Online Humboldt squid have overrun the waters off the coast of Southern California, and the area´s fishermen have taken to the sea en masse–catching boatloads of the ultra-fresh calamari. One report noted a fishing boat that had caught more than 200 squid in an hour, leading the captain to return his ship to port early. “I have enough for a whole year,” John Plaziak, one of the fishermen, told the San Diego...
Brett Smith for redOrbit.com - Your Universe Online Several hundred Humboldt squid washed ashore Sunday afternoon along the Santa Cruz County shoreline and marine biologists are working to uncover the cause. Some observers speculated that the high tide may have something do to with the sea creatures essentially committing mass suicide. Conservation of the Humboldt squid off the coast of California is not a major concern because the squid can reproduce in mass numbers. Hannah Rosen, a...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.