Latest Orbit of the Moon Stories
[ Watch the Video: Two Supermoons Expected In January 2014 ] redOrbit Staff & Wire Reports – Your Universe Online Astronomy enthusiasts will be able to ring in the new year with a January 1 supermoon – one of two that will occur during the first month of 2014, and the first of five that will take place before the end of the calendar year. The second supermoon will occur on January 30, according to Bruce McClure of Earthsky. However, the moon will be at the new phase on...
John P. Millis, Ph.D. for redOrbit.com - Your Universe Online The Moon appears to be in a nearly circular orbit around the Earth. But that word "nearly" means that there are slight variations in its motion across the heavens. As it turns out, the distance from the Earth to the Moon varies by about 30,000 miles. This sounds like a lot, but it only represents about a 6-7 percent deviation from the average distance between the two bodies. On Earth, the difference between when the Moon...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.