Latest Paleotempestology Stories
Brett Smith for redOrbit.com — Your Universe Online With the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy still being felt by millions of Americans across the eastern coast of the United States, scientists from the Geological Society of America are looking to paleotempestology to provide answers and solutions for the many problems tropical storms can cause. Several presentations at Wednesday´s GSA Annual Meeting in Charlotte, North Carolina were focused on gathering evidence and data from...
Chances of Category 4 or 5 hurricanes hitting Gulf location are .03 percent annually BATON ROUGE "“ Hurricanes Katrina and Rita focused the international spotlight on the vulnerability of the U.S. coastline. Fears that a "super-hurricane" could make a direct hit on a major city and cause even more staggering losses of life, land and economy triggered an outpouring of studies directed at every facet of this ferocious weather phenomenon. Now, an LSU professor takes us one step closer to...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.