Latest Palm Jumeirah Stories
The "World" project "” an artificial archipelago of 300 small islands arranged in the shape of a world map "” is sinking back into the sea, according to evidence presented to a property tribunal in the emirate, the Telegraph reports. Only one of the islands is inhabited, and the financial crisis has halted work on the project. The "Ëglobe' effect is most impressive when spotted by satellite, but visitors to Dubai who scale the Burg Khalifa - the tallest building in the...
By Andrew Hammond DUBAI (Reuters) - Billion-dollar islands being built off the coast of Dubai offer wealthy tourists a chance to leave the world behind, but environmentalists say the Gulf's delicate marine ecosystem is paying the price for this perfect escape. Government-owned developer Nakheel is building three islands in the shape of palm trees -- one surrounded by more islands spelling out an Arabic poem -- and a fourth group of 300 private islands shaped like a map of the world....
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.