Latest Paul Cooke Stories
Sperm cell precursors can be converted into other cell types, providing a possible alternative to the medical use of embryonic stem cells, U.S. researchers say. The University of Illinois research, described in the journal Stem Cells, improves on earlier research that showed that a kind of germ cell that leads to the production of sperm could eventually give rise to a few cells that looked and acted like embryonic stem cells. But the earlier process with the spermatagonial stem cells took...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.