Latest Phase transformations in solids Stories
A new material with a low-temperature nonmagnetic phase and a strongly magnetic high-temperature phase could potentially be used to help generate power Most of today's power plants--from some of the largest solar arrays to nuclear energy facilities--rely on the boiling and condensing of water to produce energy. The process of turning heated water into energy was essentially understood by James Watt all the way back in 1765. Heat from the sun or from a controlled nuclear reaction boils...
By Peng, J Z Yang, X Z; Zhou, F C; Gray, M F According to the average lattice and atom model of the empirical electron theory (EET) of solids and molecules, effects of interstitial impurities on valence electron structures (VESs) and phase transformation of Ti-Al alloys are analysed. In particular, melting points or allotropic transformation in Ti-Al phase diagram affected by interstitial impurities are calculated using the bond energy formula of the EET. It is demonstrated that because of...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.