Latest Pomatomidae Stories
By DAMON TATEM BEACH, PIER AND BRIDGE FISHING Corolla to Coquina Beach Surf fishing for small bottom fish should be generally productive this week along the northern beaches. Small croaker, spot and some mixed-sized sea mullet should be caught from deeper sloughs along the beach on the incoming and high tide. Most of these fish should be taken on small number 4 to 6 hooks, baited with fresh shrimp or bloodworms. Some pompano also should be landed if winds are light and the water is...
The Bluefish (Pomatomus saltatrix) is the only living species of the family Pomatomidae. It is a marine pelagic fish that can be found around the world in temperate and subtropical waters, except for the northern Pacific Ocean. Bluefish are known as tailor in Australia, shad on the east coast of South Africa, and elf on the west coast. Other common names regarding this fish are blue, chopper, and anchoa. It is a good eating and game fish. The bluefish is moderately proportioned with a...
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.