Latest Pope Pius IX Stories
A woman with a degenerative nerve disease said Monday in Turin, Italy, she no longer needs a wheelchair and can run since visiting a shrine at Lourdes, France. She visited the Roman Catholic Shrine of St. Bernadette in France Aug. 5 and said she was in a healing bath when she felt a pain in her legs and a voice encouraging her. ''Ever since I came back I have been walking, doing everything normally," Antonia Raco, 50, told ANSA news service. Raco said she was in a wheelchair for four years....
Pope Benedict XVI, holding an open-air mass Sunday in Lourdes, France, said there is love in the world that is stronger than evil. The 81-year-old pontiff addressed tens of thousands of pilgrims at a Catholic shrine in the Pyrenees Mountains foothills where, in 1858, 14-year-old peasant girl Bernadette Soubirous told priests the Virgin Mary had appeared to her, the BBC reported. The mass at the shrine, known as Grotto of Massabielle or the Cave of Apparitions, was the second outdoor mass...
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.